Whitebait Soup is the second dish of a typical Suzhou banquet. Whitebait, noted for its soft texture, appears on the Suzhou fish market every fall. This light, delicious soup is seasoned with ham, bamboo slices, green vegetable leaves, and includes the whitebait’s liver. This delicious soup can be served for brunch or lunch, along with bread or salad. Easy chinese soup to make at home.
Recipe: Whitebait Soup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Protein: 4.02 g
Total fat: 0.33 g
Carbohydrate: 1.23 g
Calories: 23.8 kcal
It is A healthy alternative to meat dishes
Ingredients for Whitebait Soup: Serves 1-2
1 cup whitebait, rinse well
100 g / 3 oz. carrot
100 g / 3 oz. green bean
1 tbsp. chopped scallion
1 tbsp. chopped ginger slices
5 cups stock
2 tbsps. Vegetable oil, for stir-frying
You can add any vegetables of your choice, such as bamboo slices.
Seasonings for Whitebait Soup:
1 tbsp. salt, or to taste
1 tbsp. black pepper powder
1 tbsp. Chinese cooking wine, or dry sherry
1 tbsp. cornstarch, mixed with 2 tbsps. water in a bowl
Remember to only add a little salt to fish dishes
Directions to cook Whitebait Soup:
1. Remove the strings of green beans, and cut crosswise into slices, cut carrot into slices.
2. Place a wok over high heat for 1 minute before adding 2 tbsps. vegetable oil, heat until the oil is hot, then saute scallion, ginger, green bean, and carrot slices over medium high heat until aromatic, 30 seconds, do not brown.
3. Drizzle into Chinese cooking wine, add 5 cups stock and bring to a boil, then keep stew over low heat for about another 2-3 minutes.
4. Put into whitebait, season with salt, bring to a boil, and then stir into the cornstarch water mixture.
5. Sprinkle with black pepper powder as desired.
6. Remove into bowls, serve hot with bread , salad, or cooked rice.
Related Chinese Recipes
Copyrights © Chinese cooking
Please indicate the author and link to original source when reproduced!