Health Tips » how to

Health Tips » how to

Health Tips » how tohttp://ehealthadvice.info

Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:50:26 +0000en-UShourly1http://wordpress.org/?v=3.4.2Poison Prevention @ Homehttp://ehealthadvice.info/poison-prevention-home/

http://ehealthadvice.info/poison-prevention-home/#commentsSat, 07 Jul 2012 04:05:58 +0000Bharathhttp://ehealthadvice.info/?p=649While it seems like common sense to keep kids away from harmful chemicals and poisonous items, more than two million children suffer through poisoning each and every year. And, most of these incidents occur right in their own homes. Here …Read more »]]>While it seems like common sense to keep kids away from harmful chemicals and poisonous items, more than two million children suffer through poisoning each and every year. And, most of these incidents occur right in their own homes.

Here are just a few of the many actions you can take to keep your family safe.

·      Store household chemicals and cleaners out of your child’s sight and reach. Be vigilant about learning just what products are dangerous. You may be surprised to find out there are some very common items that can be harmful to your child. Read labels to find out for sure.

Common products that are unsafe include most detergents, bleach, toilet cleaners, oven cleaners, multipurpose cleaners and more. Never, under any circumstances, should you mix cleaning products. It can produce a dangerous reaction. Look for child-safe packaging when possible and use child safety locks if you must store these kinds of products within your child’s reach.

·      Medication—even those that have been prescribed for your child—should always be kept out of child’s sight and reach.

All medicines are dangerous if taken by persons for whom they are not intended or if dosage instructions are not followed. Keep medicines well protected and away from little hands. Properly dispose of any products that have expired or are no longer needed.

·   Check for lead poisoning- Your home itself can pose a danger to your child. If it was built before 1978, you should check for potentially harmful lead-based paint. Small children are especially susceptible to this type of poisoning because they tend to put small, possibly contaminated, objects in their mouths.

If you fear your home may contain lead paint, do not allow children near areas where paint is peeling or chipping. You should have your home tested if you are concerned. If the presence of lead paint is confirmed, test your child for exposure and hire a professional to safely remove all lead sources.

·   The silent killer: Carbon Monoxide- Carbon monoxide is commonly referred to as a “silent killer” because residents often are not aware the problem exists in their homes until it is too late. To protect your family, install a carbon monoxide detector alarm on every floor of your home and outside every bedroom.

Be sure to regularly test the alarms and replace them every five years. Do not use grills or generators indoors, and have all fuel-burning appliances inspected regularly to make sure they are operating correctly and are properly ventilated. And, last but not least, never leave your car’s engine running in the garage even if the door is wide open.

Teach your children about the dangers of household poisons. Keep the number for the National Poison Center—1.800.222.1222—near the phones in your home. This number gives you immediate 24-hour access to experts if you fear a your child has ingested something poisonous. When you call you will want to follow the operator’s instructions exactly and do not make the child vomit unless you are instructed to do so. Of course, you should call 911 for any emergency or if your child is having trouble breathing.